November 3, 2015
Daily Files is a tool inside the MaxCDN Control Panel that provides visibility into how individual files on all MaxCDN zones are delivered on a daily basis. It does this using three reports – one for status codes, scheme, and cache status.
In this video we present an overview of Daily Files, and below we go into detail about usability and functionality.
Daily Files can be accessed by clicking on the Reports icon in the MaxCDN Control Panel:
3 Daily Files Reports
The three Daily Files reports provide an overview of how CDN files are delivered. They are great for obtaining a high level report. The advanced filtering options, on the other hand, are great for troubleshooting and bring the power of the three reports together.
The three reports inside Daily Files include:
- Status Codes by File Report
A report for status codes is the first report you see upon accessing Daily Files. The default view shows status codes for all zones on the current day, providing a group breakdown for status code groups (2xx, 3xx, 4xx and 5xx).
- Scheme by File Report
The scheme report shows you how many times the file was delivered insecurely (over HTTP) or securely (over HTTPS).
- Cache Status by File Report
The cache status report shows you how many times the file was delivered from MaxCDN and your origin server. A cache hit means the file was delivered from a MaxCDN edge server while a cache miss means it was delivered from your origin.NOTE: New or freshly purged files must be requested twice before they are cached on MaxCDN edge servers. The third request and later requests receive files from MaxCDN edge servers.
Advanced Filtering Options
To gain the full advantage of the Daily Files tool, you can filter out results by selecting various criteria. To do this, click on the orange “Advanced Options” link in the top right section of the Daily Files dashboard.
You can use the following filters to find specific files:
- Status Codes
- Status Codes offers a list of status codes you can choose from to filter files by. You can find definitions for status codes here. The status codes you can choose from in the Advanced Options box include:
- 200 (OK)
- 204 (No Content)
- 206 (Partial Content)
- 301 (Moved Permanently)
- 302 (Found)
- 303 (See Other)
- 304 (Not Modified)
- 307 (Temporary Redirect)
- 400 (Bad Request)
- 401 (Unauthorized)
- 403 (Forbidden)
- 404 (Not Found)
- 408 (Request Timeout)
- 409 (Conflict)
- 410 (Gone)
- 412 (Precondition Failed)
- 414 (Request-URI Too Long)
- 416 (Requested Range Not Satisfiable)
- 499 (Client Closed Request)
- 500 (Internal Server Error)
- 501 (Not Implemented)
- 502 (Bad Gateway)
- 503 (Service Unavailable)
- 504 (Gateway Timeout)
- 505 (HTTP Version Not Supported)
- 2XX (Successes)
- 3XX (Redirections)
- 4XX (Client Errors)
- 5XX (Server Errors)
The “Options” link in the last column of each report presents an opportunity to gain more insight into file behavior. It also lets you purge files from MaxCDN edge servers and provides other convenient options.
You can choose from four different options for all files:
- Detail View
- Purge File
- Copy URI to Clipboard
- Copy JSON Results
- Detail View shows details for the selected file and contains all of the filters included with default values.The breakdown tabs inside the Detail View window are as follows:
- Purge File lets you instantly purge the file from all MaxCDN edge servers. This option comes in handy for troubleshooting purposes. For instance, if you took action to remove any 4xx status codes and wanted to see if your approach worked, you could click the “Purge File” option. Clicking it would replace the 4xx-prone file in the cache with the updated one.
- Copy URI to Clipboard copies the URI so you can use it elsewhere. This is useful for offline processing.
- Copy JSON Results grabs the content of the detailed result in the clipboard so you can use it in offline processing mode.
If you have any questions about Daily Files, feel free to start a live chat or leave a comment below. And if you don’t already have a MaxCDN account and are interested in using Daily Files, you can sign up for a free 30-day test account.